Our 2014 Employer Demand Analysis Report summarizes the activities performed across our technology in the 2013 calendar year by MBA recruiters in our network. The information in this report is sourced from both job postings to our partner schools and searches performed by employers for candidates at our partner schools. Employers designate the function of the job opportunities they post, and employers can use both function experience and function preference filters as they search for candidates that match their criteria. Some functions are broken down into sub-functions, i.e. Advertising is a sub-function of the Marketing function, giving employers the opportunity to be more specific in their searches and postings. Along with the top 10 function experience searches, top 10 function preference searches, and top 10 job posting functions, here is an excerpt from the Executive Summary to give a high level overview of last year’s function related data:
From 2012 to 2013, job functions of job postings were all very steady, with the top 5 functions being Finance, Marketing, Management, Business Development, and Consulting in that order. The top 2 sub-functions for 2013 job postings were Business Development – General and Marketing – Brand/Product Management, beating out Finance – Other and Consulting – General, which came in 3rd and 4th, respectively.
In reference to candidate function preference searches, Finance remained the number one search year-over-year, but dropped 2.7% from 16.5% of all function preference searches in 2012 to 13.8% in 2013. Consulting and Technology dropped in this category as well, with a 1.9% and 2.3% decrease, respectively. Following Finance, Marketing and Management were the most searched function preferences, and 4 of the top 5 sub-function preference searches were within the Marketing function, with Marketing – Brand/Product Management at the top.
In regards to the searches performed for candidates’ function experience, Consulting significantly dropped from 14.4% of all function experience searches to 10.5% in 2013. This 3.9% drop, along with Marketing function experience searches dropping 2.7%, represent relatively large changes within a single year. On the rise, Finance was up .9% from 11.7% of all function experience searches in 2012 to 12.6% in 2013. Although Consulting had dropped in proportion of these searches, 17 of the top 25 sub-functions were within Finance or Consulting, with Consulting – General leading the way at 5.6% of all searches and 3.1% of all sub-function searches. The Finance and Consulting industry showed some additional interestingly popular searches, with 49.9% of searches for Military function experience and 43.2% of searches for Manufacturing experience done by Consulting firms, and 41.6% of Entrepreneurship function experience searches performed by companies in Finance.
Matching its popularity in job posting functions, Business Development was up 1.2% in all 2013 function preference searches. Some additional statistics that stood out were that 55.6% of both Military and Legislative Aide/Lobbying/Advocate function preference searches were performed by Consulting firms, and 67.9% of Lawyer/Legal Professional function preference searches were performed by the Finance industry.
Here are the top 10 function experience searches, function preference searches, and job posting functions across our recruitment technology in 2013:
Function Experience Searches:
- 1. Consulting – General: 1,545
- 2. Finance – Analyst/Research: 1,217
- 3. Finance – Investment Banking: 1,145
- 4. Finance – Corporate Finance: 1,145
- 5. Finance – Investment Management: 1,057
- 6. Finance Mergers & Acquisitions: 1,047
- 7. Management – Project Management: 975
- 8. Finance – Private Equity: 973
- 9. Consulting – External: 970
- 10. Consulting – Internal: 947
Function Preference Searches:
- 1. Marketing – Brand/Product Management: 1,015
- 2. Consulting – General: 919
- 3. Marketing – Product Development/Innovation: 871
- 4. Marketing – Market Research: 846
- 5. Marketing – Other: 808
- 6. Finance – Corporate Finance: 710
- 7. Finance – Analyst/Research: 695
- 8. Management – General Manager: 678
- 9. Marketing – Advertising: 674
- 10. Marketing – Merchandising/Retail: 673
Job Posting Functions:
- 1. Business Development – General: 7,358
- 2. Marketing – Brand/Product Management: 6,639
- 3. Finance – Other: 6,275
- 4. Consulting – General: 6,070
- 5. Strategic Planning – General: 5,773
- 6. Finance – Analyst/Research: 5,720
- 7. Marketing – Other: 5,429
- 8. Marketing – Market Research: 4,870
- 9. Management – Project Management: 4,598
- 10. Finance – Investment Management: 4,140
Interested in learning more about what MBA employers are looking for? Request access to our full 2014 Employer Demand Analysis Report!
To enable comments sign up for a Disqus account and enter your Disqus shortname in the Articulate node settings.