Our 2014 Employer Demand Analysis Report summarizes the activities performed across our technology in the 2013 calendar year by MBA recruiters in our network. The industry information pulled from our system is sourced from both job postings to our partner schools and searches performed by employers for students and alumni from our partner schools. Employers designate the industry of the job opportunities they post, and employers can use both industry experience and industry preference filters as they search for candidates that match their criteria. Some industry sectors are broken down into subsectors, i.e. Private Equity is a subsector of the Financial sector, giving employers the opportunity to be more specific in their searches and postings. Along with the top 10 industry experience searches, top 10 industry preference searches, and top 10 job posting industries, here is an excerpt from the Executive Summary to give a high level overview of last year’s industry related data:
Job posting industry sectors, versus searches for candidate industry experience and industry preferences, offer some interesting differences. The top 5 job posting industry sectors were Financial, Technology, Consulting, Consumer Products, and Nonprofits & Social Enterprises.
Technology decreased 1%, while Consulting remained at a steady 10.6% of job industry postings. Consumer Products, Financial and Nonprofits & Social Enterprise job industries increased in proportion from 2012, with Consumer Products increasing 1.6%, Financial increasing .4%, and Nonprofits & Social Enterprises increasing .5% from 2012 to 2013.
The top three 2013 job posting subsector industries were Nonprofits & Social Enterprises - General, Technology – Internet Services/E-Commerce, and Technology –Software, in that order.
Employer database searches did not show nearly as much industry diversity as job postings did, in fact out of the top 25 industry experience subsector searches, only 2 were not within the Consulting or Finance sectors. Consulting and Finance clearly took the first and second spot in general industry experience searches as well, with Consulting up 1.2% from 2012, and Financial up 3.1%, and the third most frequent industry sector search being Technology, which was down .7% in 2013.
Similarly, the top three industry preference searches were Consulting, Finance, and Technology, but opposite in that Consulting and Finance industry preference searches have decreased year-over-year, while Technology has risen. Although general Consulting searches were down 2.3% from 2012 to 2013, 13 of the top 25 industry subsector preference searches were Consulting related. The rest of the top 25 industry subsector preferences included Technology, Financial, Consumer Products and Telecom.
With so many searches for Consulting and Finance industry experience and preference, it was interesting to see that 67.9% of Aerospace/Aviation/Defense sector searches, 67.1% of Agribusiness sector searches, and 66.7% of Natural Resources industry sector experience searches were conducted by Consulting firms. Additionally, 42.9% of Government industry sector preference searches were performed by Consulting firms, and 58.6% of all Law/Legal Services industry sector preference searches were performed by Finance companies.
Here are the top 10 industry experience searches, industry preference searches, and job posting industries across our recruitment technology in 2013:
Industry Experience Searches:
- 1. Consulting – Strategy: 1,141
- 2. Consulting – Healthcare: 1,003
- 3. Consulting – Other: 980
- 4. Financial – Private Equity: 939
- 5. Consulting – Management: 899
- 6. Consulting – General: 864
- 7. Financial – Investment Banking/Brokerage: 862
- 8. Consulting – Gas and Oil: 859
- 9. Consulting – Technology: 841
- 10. Financial – Investment Management: 791
Industry Preference Searches:
- 1. Consulting – Strategy: 1,407
- 2. Consulting – Other: 1,287
- 3. Consulting – General: 1,204
- 4. Consulting – Technology: 1,096
- 5. Consulting – Management: 1,085
- 6. Consulting – Healthcare: 1,014
- 7. Consulting – Biotechnology: 928
- 8. Consulting - Supply Chain: 917
- 9. Consulting - Gas and Oil: 896
- 10. Consulting – Nonprofit: 862
Job Posting Industries:
- 1. Nonprofits & Social Enterprises – General: 3,796
- 2. Technology - Internet Services / E-Commerce: 3,627
- 3. Technology – Software: 2,553
- 4. Financial - Investment Banking / Brokerage: 2,489
- 5. Financial - Investment Management: 2,382
- 6. Human Resources / Recruitment – General: 2,367
- 7. Financial - Diversified Financial Services: 2,243
- 8. Education – General: 2,218
- 9. Consumer Products – Other: 2,165
- 10. Consulting – Other: 2,146
Interested in learning more about what MBA employers are looking for? Request access to our full 2014 Employer Demand Analysis Report!
To enable comments sign up for a Disqus account and enter your Disqus shortname in the Articulate node settings.